THE TEETOTALLER

                        The  Teetotaller'



Padmaprabha,the beloved of Ishwar Ram.Its been seven years since they started off their
journey as Mr Ishwar and Mrs Ishwar.The year 2002 was a red-letter day in their life as they
embarked on their new journey of being for each other, after five years of sincere
relationship .Ishwar is a professor at a prestigious college in the city.As a well respected
professor, he always enjoys his teaching career. It was his childhood dream to be a
professor. Since his father, Hydhor, was in the government sector, he got all the support
from his father as well as from the entire family to accomplish his goal.Padma, was also from
an affluent family.They always enjoyed a harmony, caring, sharing and after all they always
tried to develop a good rapport by opening their heart completely to each other.After their
marriage, they made a journey to Mussoorie, the paradise of tourists.For them,that visit to
Mussoorie was an unforgettable one. After two years, they were blessed with a baby girl!
They named her -Deva.She was such a beauty. The three members' family began to enjoy a
joyful life ever since.Her presence always urged both of them to be more caring and
responsible to each other.Whenever they get time they visit beaches nearby and watch
movies from theatre. But, every time they return home, Ishwar would bring 2-3 bottles of
vodka or beer, in order to celebrate his weekends.Prabha is not against him, but she always
reminds him of the health consequences of alcohol. Whereas, Ishwar is not a drunkard like
Prabha's father.The only thing which always pesters Prabha is her father's habit of drinking.
Whenever she goes home, she would advise her father to limit the alcohol consumption,but
who cares??!
As the time went by, Deva turned Three.It was on the day before Deva's third birthday, as
anticipated, there came the news of the demise of Prabha's father, due to liver disease. The
entire family was in deep agony. It took a while for Prabha to get out from the aura of
disappointment.
After the death of her father, each day, at night, after making Deva asleep,Prabha argued
with Ishwar about his uncontrolled drinking.
"Earlier,You were not like this and what happened to you now? Ishwar shouts."Yes, after I
lost my father I am not able to accept your habit of drinking . I am always afraid that the
same fate will conquer you too".
"But, have you forgotten the promises that you made to me?"
"Of course, not. I am not intruding into your private circle.But I don't want to lose you too."
weeps.
One day morning, Prabha went upstairs to clean the bathroom. The moment she opened the
door of the bathroom itself, she began to feel a stench.On the floor the half digested food
particles such as potato,carrot,tomato of Sambar, rice and chicken were scattered over
there.Furiously, Prabha rushed into the room and yelled "Ishwar…….!!!"
After a few minutes, Ishwar woke up from his tedious sleep and asked "Are you mad? What
happened to you? Why did you shout?....
Without wasting a moment "Did you puke last night?
"Yes, I did."
"It is more than enough. I cannot tolerate it anymore.I want a break. I am going home. I know
it's Tuesday and I am responsible for cleaning the house. But, today I won't do it. So,do
wash the bathroom yourself".

Two weeks later,Prabha came back to Ishwar's house. When the car rushed into the
courtyard, for a moment she couldn't believe her eyes.Ishwar, sitting on a chair and smoking
a cigarette of a well known company.She got into the veranda and asked"So you won't
change huh?"
"Sweetheart , the day you left the home itself, I put a full stop to my drinking habit."
"But, you are smoking now"
"It doesn't matter. What you all wanted was me to stop drinking right?Though I began
smoking,that day onwards I have become a 'Teetotaller' for the rest of my life."
"I have to go to the chicken stall.You get in and freshen up."
He got on the bullet and headed to the market.
Prabha, stood there perplexed.

Rahul E. P.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE,DEVOTION AND ENDURANCE: LIVES WHICH DERIVED THEIR LIFEBLOOD FROM KABIR

EUTIERRIA

BANARAS