A Long Row to Hoe...!

This week I was determined to write about the film called 'Salaam Bombay'.But,right now I wish to tell you about something else.So let's save that film review for later. 
                        
                      Before beginning the story,have you ever heard of a place called Olayambadi? I know that most of you are hearing it for the first time.Now you must be thinking then why I enquired about such a place right ? It's because that's where my house is located and since it is very far away from our college,I am staying as a paying guest.As many of you might know already,Fridays are really special for us hostelers because Yay! That's when we get to go home.On Fridays,usually I leave the college at 1:30 in the afternoon so that it won't be late when I get to home.But this Friday,I decided to leave the college at 4:00 PM after my classes are over.I believed that if I somehow managed to get to Pilathara before 7:00 PM,I will be able to catch the last bus to Olayambadi and everything was set.
                                                Me and my friend left the college at 4:00 PM as planned and unfortunately all my plans began to fail one by one as we missed our limited stop Kannur bus just by a fraction of second and instead we hopped on a local Kannur bus.And what else to say,this bus was literally moving like a snail,stopping here,there and everywhere that we almost felt like even the people walking on foot are moving faster than us.At last,after this leisurely ride we reached at Kannur when it was quarter to six.
                                               From there my friend got on in another bus and now I was on my own.It was my first time travelling a long distance alone and it was a little nerve-racking.However the window seat,the beautiful sights of the dusk and the cold breeze were all great and fulfilling.The sky was like an experienced actor,changing it's colour from light blue to orange,from orange to red and within the snap of a finger it was all dark outside.The night town was amazing filled with Christmas stars and hanging lights.But waking me up from all those views,as a reminder that it was getting dark outside,from time to time,I received calls from my aunt,uncle,brother and ofcourse from my mother also.It seemed like they were more worried than me.If you ask me what was the biggest challenge that you faced while travelling,I will never say that it was travelling alone but instead it was finding your destination while it's a little dark outside.Although,with the help of some identification marks,I was able to get down at Pilathara and the time was about half past seven.
                                                 Now guess what,I missed my last bus.The first thought that came to my mind was "Well,let me find some place to sleep in the bus stand."Just kidding!Fortunately my uncle told me to take a bus to Kuttur,which is an intermediate stop between Pilathara and Olayambadi and he will be waiting there for me.So I took the very next Kuttur bus and the aforementioned challenge arose again.I don't know my stop.This time I was really worried and anxious.I guess that our face is really a mirror which reflects our mind because the person who sat next to me stared at me for sometime and asked me where I was going.I told her that I have to get down at Kuttur and I don't really know the place well.On hearing this she promised me that she will show me the place and now my heart was at ease.She kept her promise and she also gave me an identification mark to the place so that next time I won't be confused.As said earlier my uncle was there.Now there's only a 20 minute ride to our house.It was a starry night and the moon was following us.On my way back to home I was thinking about the journey and the people who helped me.During this journey,I felt like all the people are willing to help each other and there are atleast a few people out there who are ready to see each other nothing more or nothing less,but just as human beings. It was so calming and by this time we had already reached my house.I smiled at the moon and said "Aah......... finally we're home!"

-Aswathi Sasi



                                                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE,DEVOTION AND ENDURANCE: LIVES WHICH DERIVED THEIR LIFEBLOOD FROM KABIR

EUTIERRIA

Shade