Red

Red

I had a colourless home,
There resided a lot many colourless people
Painting their colourless dreams
On those colourless walls.
But I was born red,
And I was outside the ring. 

Though they wrapped me
in colourless clothes
Tied my tongue, insisting that
being coloured was weird,
I was red.
Don't ask me 5 W's and 1 H
I was red, and was outside the ring. 

Back then, I was colorblind, I guess.
When I got out of that colourless haven,
I saw only red people,
And heard only red speeches
Red is truth,
Red is revolution,
They said. 

And on and on and on. 

Years passed, and then,
I could see colours,
I saw not only red,
But green, blue, orange and white as well. 

And then I saw many coloured rings,
Heard coloured speeches,
read coloured books,
And as always I was red
I was outside the ring,
But still, I was red. 

And after 18 years, I was red enough,
To be dragged inside the ring.
And so, there I was.
But inside, everything was not very red
Atleast not the red that I thought,
It would be. 

They said that the scarf on my head was
Not that of red.
Red is of inclusion, they screamed.
But I felt excluded.
They said, with my rigid belief system
I had no right to speak politics.
Red voiced everyone, I thought.
They showed me, it did not. 

I was not really red.
They said.
Who is really red?
I Wonder.

-Rana Fathima 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVE,DEVOTION AND ENDURANCE: LIVES WHICH DERIVED THEIR LIFEBLOOD FROM KABIR

EUTIERRIA

Shade